Basketball is intended to be a recreational activity for enjoyment and health. This code of conduct has been developed by Basketball Victoria to give participants some guide to the expectations it has on those participants. It is intended to assist everyone to obtain the maximum benefit and enjoyment from their involvement in basketball. As a result, the quality of participation will be improved so people are more likely to start and continue their involvement in basketball. Enjoy!!
- Involve others in planning, leadership, evaluation and decision making related to basketball.
- Give all people equal opportunities to participate.
- Create pathways for people to participate and develop through the sport not just as players but as coaches, referees and administrators.
- Ensure that rules, equipment, length of games and training schedules are modified to suit the age, ability and maturity level of players.
- Provide quality supervision, instruction and a safe environment for all players.
- Remember that basketball is for fun.
- Help coaches and officials highlight appropriate behaviour and skill development and help improve the standards of coaching and officiating.
- Assist all participants in basketball to know and understand the rules.
- Give a copy of the codes of conduct to spectators, officials, parents, coaches, teachers, players and the media and encourage them to follow it.
- You set an example. Your behaviour and comments should be positive and supportive.
- Make it clear that abusing people in any way is unacceptable and will result in disciplinary action.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person.
- Always respect the use of facilities and equipment provided.
The whole code is available ADMINISTRATORS long